Tuesday, August 31, 2004

It's a good day when...

So like I said yesterday was a good day. I do have to admit that it was as funny as heck after work when Rita and I got together. Let's just say that yesterday was the most culturally irreverent day that I have had so far.

First we went to dinner I was tired of bi bim bop (bowl o rice with stuff in it) but I couldn't read the menu so I found something with rice in the name and just picked it. Rita went the safe route and got kim bop (CA rolls) steamed mon du (steamed dumpling). Since we are Chinese we wanted a little soy sauce to dip the kim bop in. At first we joked that maybe if we just said it loud enough maybe they would understand. :) By then Rita said, "Why don't you just go back to the counter and point at sauces until they give you one?" I figured it was worth a shot. So I strolled back to the back and took a look around and pointed at something that looked less spicy than chili paste. By now the 3 kitchen staff and the 3 waiter were staring at me trying to figure out why I had gotten up. When I pointed at the sauce they began to dish some up, all be it very confused and hoping that I didn't turn funny colors, and before then can hand it to me and I can run the sushi lady sees them and starts to question what is going on. They try to explain that, "This crazy Asian girl who can't speak a lick of Korean is up here randomly pointing at sauces and we just want her to leave." So the woman in English asks, "What do you have?" and walk with me over to the table where she sees that we have kim bop and tries to give us chili paste! Rita motions that that isn't it and it's too hot. While she is doing this I decide to dip my kim bop in my soup. She sees this and goes into a frantic display of hand motions to let me know that what I had just done could potentially destroy the fabric of this universe and I should NEVER do it again. Alas still no soy sauce. By now the other waiters are wary of our presence and when they bring out the food it's like leaving an offering to an angry god. The man timidly leaves the food on the table and runs. Then I get a good look at what my point and order method got me. In fron of me was a plate half full of rice and on the other half was veggies in CHILI PASTE with and this is the best squid. YEAH! So Rita laughed I picked at what I could eat and then we left.

The whole way home we are making jokes about being Asian and just wanting some good old fashioned pasta. Along with any other thing we could think of that was making us crazy. Once we got to my place we did a little MST3000 routine with some movie and found whatever we could that was in English.

When we headed back to school I had changed and was wearing a pair of shorts and t-shirt. As we left my apt complex and Ahjimah (older woman) saw the two of us walking and started pointing to me and yelling at me in Korean. As she walked past she pinched my butt no doubt to make the point that I was dressed like a harlot and should go home and put more clothes on! Oh goodness let me tell you the laugh that insighted. So yes another complete day here in Korea, maybe blending in is the wrong word for what I do. It seems more like all I do is make everyone appalled at what happens when you let a nice Asian girl out of the country. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger JamDaddy said...

Great story! I travel around with my wife and we have had the same experience with food in countries that we don't speak the language. You brought back many wonderful memories.

10:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home